• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 elismom

elismom

Grand champion

• 1,390 posts
  • 109 thanks

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Typically breeders will re-home their breeding stock when they retire and spay or neuter them. They are frequently offered for a nominal fee or even free to a great home.

Sometimes kittens are returned to breeders due to allergies or other circumstantial problems. Reputable breeders have a clause in their adoption contracts guaranteeing that the kitten/cat will be offered back to them if it must be re-homed.

Finally, life is unpredictable and in the struggling economy of late, many cats end up homeless because their owners simply can't afford them anymore. Sad but true.

The organizations below may be able to assist you with finding a Maine Coon that needs a great home for less than you would pay for a kitten from a breeder.

Maine Coon Rescue

Purebred Cat Breed Rescue -Maine Coons

East Coast Maine Coon Rescue

Arizona maine coon cat rescue

Maine Coon Rescue Alliance

Maine Coon Adoptions

Maine Coon Rescue Me

This post has been promoted to an article

• Wrain likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Thanked by 1 Member:
candes

#2 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks
  • Interests:Maine Coons

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

Just wanted to mention something I just found out recently. Some rescue organizations will transport animals from one shelter to another. So if you see a Maine Coon that you are interested in, but it is too far away, ask if this is an option.
  • elismom likes this

#3 maureen

maureen

Alpha cat

• 312 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • Interests:Nutrition, Writing, Irish culture, iPhoneography

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

POPULAR

My girl is a retired breeding cat. If anyone is interested, I signed up on Fanciers Breeder Referral List to get a tweet when a retired Maine Coon was available. Most of the breeders have particular types of homes in mind for each cat. For instance they might want you to have other cats or no other cat or no children etc. Prices vary. You must pay shipping costs if the breeder will ship them (very often they won't) and sometimes the costs of neutering. But you will have these costs anyway if you purchased a kitten. I got the tweet on a Monday and by Sunday we had Sáoirse with us.

http://twitter.com/FBRLRetired
  • candes, elismom and katimae like this

#4 elismom

elismom

Grand champion

• 1,390 posts
  • 109 thanks

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Maybe Kirsten will want to list Beemer here if he hasn't found his forever home yet?
  • candes and Kmperk9 like this
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 charb1987

charb1987

Kitten

• 32 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Fortunitely I got my Coonie for free since someone couldn't take care of him since he was only 3 weeks old. Do searchs on google and also check your local animal shelter. Sometimes they get them in because individuals can't handle them anymore. But do research on the breed before you get them.
  • Max_1 likes this
Posted Image

#6 katimae

katimae

Grand champion

• 690 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • Interests:Kitties & Music & Bringing other beings joy & Learning all I can learn & so much more!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

East Coast Maine Coon Rescue (ESMCR) has some really great Coonies and MC Mixes available right now. Quite a few kittens. And don't let the classification of "senior" scare you off, most of the "seniors" the currently have listed are just 8 years old. (Often midlife for a well cared for kitty, plus you don't have to go through the trials of kittenhood or teenage angst and they make great companions for a kitty you may already have!) In fact they have an absolute beautiful kitty there now and she's an 8 year old "senior." Her name is Kallie. And Milo is a purebred 8 yr old "Senior" who has a lion cut!

I'd be pretty mad if they started calling me a Senior in my early 40's!!!

I know that ECMCR DOES work with transporters to take their kitties to other locations if you aren't close. These volunteer transport organizations are amazing. Imagine Home brought my cat Kizzy to me in PA from KY!!!

Also Maine Coon Adoptions in California currently has a bunch of URGENT adoptions needed.
  • candes likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users