Natural Born Hunters!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AxsMan

AxsMan

Alpha cat

• 298 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Interests:Maine Coons, photography, IT, walking reading, movies and Beer!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

Smokey Joe has come of age. At 6 months he has discovered the joys of predation! He's always been a keen hunter of flies, bees, and a danger to anything that 'flutters' but this week he killed his first mouse.

And then his second, third and fourth! We know this because he brought one of them to us as a present, something the others have done in the past, despite our 'disappointing' lack of praise for their efforts at 4.am. Walt I particular was quite miffed that we showed little appreciation of the live mouse he dropped on our bed a year ago. Oh how we laughed :D

Anyway, Smokey dropped a fortunately 'departed' offering on us, and upon rising we found another on the kitchen floor. Unfortunately we didn't find the two others, one under the bed, one under the lounge sofa, until a certain 'atmosphere' betrayed their presence a few days later.

It's amazing that something so small can smell so bad so quickly! :lol

Anyway, it looks like the boy has become the man. The local wildlife, already somewhat 'under threat' from our colony, is now in deep doo doo! If he's half as efficient with the mice as he is with the bees, Leicester UK could soon be a mouse free zone! :D
  • Sansababy and SunshineKitty like this
There are millions of intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 SunshineKitty

SunshineKitty

Alpha cat

• 455 posts
  • 52 thanks

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

Lol! I read an article a few months ago about cat behavior and bringing "gifts" home for their owners. Apparently the actual "gift" they are bringing is the opportunity to learn how to hunt. Our cats are telling us we suck at hunting and are offering to teach. Lol! They do this with kittens. First they bring dead prey to the kittens and the next step is bringing live prey home. So, Walt at least thought you weren't as awful a predator as SJG. Lol!
Posted Image

#3 AxsMan

AxsMan

Alpha cat

• 298 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

:lol, It's good to know Walt admires me for more than just being able to hold a tin opener! :D

This may be because, after a spot of game shooting, I 'shared' with him - he was SOOOO happy to have his very own duck!

Posted Image
Walter and his Duck by AxsMan, on Flickr

Maybe I need to bag a brace for Smokey, to prove I'm not completely useless :blush: :lol
  • SunshineKitty likes this
There are millions of intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 AxsMan

AxsMan

Alpha cat

• 298 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

I think Smokey still likes his bees though :lol

Posted Image
That bee's in trouble by AxsMan, on Flickr
  • Max_1 likes this

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 AxsMan

AxsMan

Alpha cat

• 298 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

Another morning, another 'present'! I don't know for sure that this one was from Smokes, but he has to be in the frame :lol.

On a positive note maybe we can start saving money on cat food :D

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 fenwaypark

fenwaypark

Kitten

• 54 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Fenway likes the rodents also, but more of a play thing as I am not aware of him dispatching any of them yet. In our case its our DSH that brings the live 'presents ' up from the basement on occasion and Fenway is more then willing to keep an eye on them once they are upstairs.

#7 AxsMan

AxsMan

Alpha cat

• 298 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

No presents for the last couple of days. Either they think we don't deserve them, the rodent population of the UK has been exhausted, or the heat wave has made the 'coons to sleepy to hunt. I'm going with that last one :D

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users