Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

40 Maine Coon Cats Surrendered by Breeder.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jennie Fuller

Jennie Fuller

Premier

• 120 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Interests:Cats, my 3 Great Danes, Rescue, anything computer related, Graphic Design & Interior Design

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

On Monday, our Adoption Centers took in almost 40 Maine Coon cats from one home. The owner, who had been breeding the cats for several years, was losing her home and reached out to the MSPCA for help. The cats are mostly healthy, friendly, and HUGE! Many of the cats are already available for adoption at our Boston, Centerville and Methuen adoption centers! For for information, email adoption@mspca.org

I've attached the photos they had on the Facebook Announcement.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10247490_10152172609718853_8121732028791361120_n.jpg
  • 1926721_10152172609703853_4031139161231863009_n.jpg
  • 10253748_10152172609723853_2871389408318522784_n.jpg

• Cathy234 likes this

A home just isn't a home without a Maine Coon .. well several Maine Coon's lol

A3Kfm5.png  e6vIm5.png 2Knxm5.png XdKYm5.pngbwCpm5.png

Thanked by 1 Member:
candes

#2 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks
  • Interests:Maine Coons

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thanx for sharing! Too bad I don't live nearby.
  • Jennie Fuller likes this

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Kitten

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Oh I wish I lived closer I sooo want another Maine Coon..Bless your hearts for taking care of them

#4 maureen

maureen

Alpha cat

• 312 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • Interests:Nutrition, Writing, Irish culture, iPhoneography

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

I bet a number of people will just want a big cat, adopt them and be very surprised at what else our coonies can do! They will suddenly acquire a big furry shadow. Wish I lived nearby too.

#5 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

I am not certain any of us want them. I was alert to the fact that the breeder had 40 cats, "some in good health" and "others with murmers". We had a serial bad breeder that we are aware of on this site that recently moved. I am not up for heartbreak, are you?

My thinking....
If you think about it all the cats are in a certain (5-10) age range. Which makes me wonder if they are autosomal recessive for HCM. Those with the dominant gene would likely be dead already. Plus, she likely wasn't keeping any of her own kittens once she realized this. She was probably just breeding the ones that survived. And extra long at that. No Sunnybrook farms for those poor souls.

Another scenario is that she was a good breeder, and stopped breeding, but kept the cats out of love. But HCM cats take a lot of care, money, and possible heart break. You have to know the facts up front and be willing before you adopt any of these cats. They better be testing every last one of them prior to adoption.

The thing is, that your average rescue adopter has no clue about the possible implications of a mumur in a MC.

Please note that this is an automated response for interest in our Maine Coon cats. All other inquiries will be responded to promptly.

Thanks for your interest in the Maine Coons. We have some available at our adoption centers in Boston and Centerville. Some are in good medical shape, others have heart murmurs, eye conditions or dental disease. They are between 5 and 10 years of age and weigh between 15 and 27lbs. They are mostly sweet cats, but shy and stressed with all the transition they've been through and will likely need some time to blossom and transition into their new homes. You are welcome to come in to any of our adoption centers during regular adoption center hours(on our website) to meet them and fill out an application. To be approved, we would need you to come in to the adoption center to meet the cats and be able to provide an ID, proof of homeownership or permission from a landlord to have a pet and vet records for current pets. We do adopt out of state, but will not ship nor can we put any cats on hold due to the overwhelming response we have gotten for them. The adoption fee is $150 which includes the spay/neuter vaccinations and a microchip.
If you have any additional questions, please let us know. Thanks!
]

#6 Jennie Fuller

Jennie Fuller

Premier

• 120 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Interests:Cats, my 3 Great Danes, Rescue, anything computer related, Graphic Design & Interior Design

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

POPULAR

Well, that's kinda the nature of rescuing. You take in the rejects, the uncertains, the needy & the problematic.

You never know what you're going to get when you rescue, and you have to go into it knowing that. You have to be willing to deal with their issues, no matter what they may be.

I think they deserve it. They got a crappy 1st shake at life (obviously) .. as humans we should be compassionate enough to let them live out whats left of their life knowing love & happiness.

I have 7 cats who fit this criteria (8 if you count the foster I currently have that came in with a huge gaping wound on his side) plus my new little Maine Coon kitten.

Rescuing isn't for everyone though, and that's ok, but honestly there isn't much that can make you feel as full of love & devotion as when you rescue an animal that needs you .. and that animal loves you back. There is just something there that seeds deep in your heart.
  • nearpass, catatonica, Lisa James and 2 others like this

#7 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Sorry I have been in the middle of a pressing family situation. It turns out the woman stopped breeding. I think it would be great if someone adopts them, but knows the full implications and has the money to care for them. Honestly they should know the HCM status of every one of those cats they adopt out. And it sounds like this wasn't the plan. Thus why I was a bit cranky. Just didn't tell everyone why.

It's just not for me right now since my Cleo just died and I had 6 horrible paw holding months with Teddy not too long ago. And my mother is dying.
  • maureen and Jennie Fuller like this

#8 Jennie Fuller

Jennie Fuller

Premier

• 120 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

:( I am very sorry to hear about your mom & the loss of your big buddies. I know that isn't an easy road to be on.

I agree though, if the cats have problems they should be screened or at the very least potential adopters made privy that problems may arise. Depending on where they end up coming out of (a rescue or the shelter) that may or may not happen though.

If it's an animal control or shelter they won't be able to spend that kind of money on them testing them. They will probably go for $90 or so, if a rescue adopts them out .. they will probably test them, since most rescues get around $125-200 and can afford the necessary testing.

I just hope they all find (or have found) great forever homes that will give them the life it seems they were stripped of. I can't imagine having 40 cats. No way did all those poor cats get the love & attention (and obviously the medical care) that they deserve/deserved.
  • candes and nearpass like this

#9 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Yeah the 40 cats LEFT impacted my perception of the situation. I just feel that they need to be certain those people have the resources and time to deal with what could happen. The probability of issues is high. High maintainance... I have spent over $7,000 and lost 6 months of my life on my 4 year old boy who doesn't even have a murmer or what is considered serious ongoing health issues.

#10 tiggerbaby

tiggerbaby

Kitten

• 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Interests:Helping tigger grow

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

Are the ones in the photos up for adoption or have they found new homes? I love my Maine coon he is the sweetest thing.
  • Jennie Fuller and Rafael like this

#11 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

Are the ones in the photos up for adoption or have they found new homes? I love my Maine coon he is the sweetest thing.

They were nearly all gone some time ago. But you can still inquire via email if you wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users