8 replies to this topic

#1 LoriD

LoriD

Kitten

• 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hi
I am getting a sliver in Sept I am looking to show him.
I was wondering if there is an tips anyone can give me on
a sliver coat like what is the best shampoo for sliver and what type of color
shampoo is good to use. Should I just use the white brightening on the coat.

For my. brown I use the ultra red color enhancing on him.

Is there anything anybody would recommend like sho son or F1r2 snow burst any
help would great.
Thanks

#2 LilyC

LilyC

Grand champion

• 1,757 posts
  • 127 thanks
  • Interests:Maine Coons..duh!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi LoriD,

Can your breeder recommend a shampoo for you? If not, I recommend Jerob's pet products. This product can be found online and at cat shows sold by vendors.

When I use to show, I used the Jerob's mahogany gold for my two brown tabbies. For your silver boy, the Jerob's Parisian Purple would be a good shampoo for silvers, blues and/or crèmes. Now I am not showing, I use what my breeder uses Kelco' Filthy Animal.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 ron

ron

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hi -

I have shown silvers and browns/brown w/white Coons for years now. Sometimes they do seem to have different quality coats.
I find that the silvers can be a bit greasier.

That said, I am not that enamored of "color" shampoos. Our protocol is pretty simple and straightforward. First, before you even
think about bathing the cat, make sure you are feeding it well. What the fur looks like is really related to what they eat!

Our "go to" regimen has been "goop and dawn" for many years and it never seems to fail. Use Goop (Groomers goop or some
variation. It doesn't seem to matter, other than the smell...) Completely cover their coat with globs of the stuff. Work it deeply
into the fur. Use more than you think you should. Then, rinse it all out with hot water. Next, use plain old Dawn to shampoo them.
This is a grease-cutter, so it removes all the remaining Goop. I'd do two coats of this, rinsing FOR A LONG TIME, in between each
treatment. Lean in and smell the cat's coat to make sure you can't smell any of the Goop or Dawn fragrance. If you can, rinse
some more.

We then use a product called "Fluff out." We spray it all over their coat when the bath is done, but prior to blow drying.

Other options. Davis makes a great desgreasing shampoo. Some people rinse their Coons with a dilute vinegar rinse after they
use the "product," then rinse like crazy to make sure they don't smell like a Caesar salad. Others like to "float off" their cat. This
involves (after all the shampooing and rinsing) filling a basin/tub/sink WAY up with warm water while the cat is still in it. Up to their
necks. This then allows the water to float their fur out and get into every nook and cranny.

I hope this helps. For every person there is a different variation. When showing MCs, we usually do the bath late in the week, so
that they look their best of the weekend.

Cheers!

Ron

#4 LoriD

LoriD

Kitten

• 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Hi Ron
I didn't know sliver where more greaser.

I do use davis degreaser and fithy animal also a color for my brown MC.
I also do the vinegar at the end with a lot of water.

Do you use a white brighter on yor sliver?
Thanks
Lori

#5 LoriD

LoriD

Kitten

• 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

LilyC
My breeder said to use a whiter.

Lori

#6 ron

ron

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Lori -

Well, it probably won't hurt in any way to use a whitener. The best thing to do is just try and see what you
think! Seriously, every cat is different. Contrast is a big deal with silvers, so if you can make the white pop
more, that should help you in judging. As to the greasiness? That's just my experience. Your mileage may
vary!

What organization are you going to show in? TICA? CFA? ACFA?

Ron

#7 LoriD

LoriD

Kitten

• 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hi Ron

I grand Thor in CFA.
I would like to show my new kitten in CFA and TICA.

Where do you show and what do you like better?
Thanks
Lori

#8 ron

ron

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

I show all over the country, though mostly in CFA regions 1 & 4. I show almost completely in
CFA, so my experience comparing the two is minimal. The "traditional" thought on Maine Coons
in the two organizations is that they have different looks that they like, but I can't say for sure
that this is real or imagined. I always heard that TICA judges like a longer muzzle on MCs, while
CFA judges want it to be pretty short and wide.

My normal advice on showing would be this; try a couple of CFA shows and couple of TICA
shows and see what you think. However, if you are trying to get a regional win or something with
your kitten, you may not have the luxury of time to do that side by side comparison!

Why not try the shows that are closest and easiest to get to? If you are really new to showing, then
you won't spend a ton of money on entries/food/hotels/gas, but you'll start to learn the ropes. It is
definitely a learning process....and the Maine Coon class (particularly with kittens) is always very
competitive. Be patient and don't lose faith!

#9 Lindabooda

Lindabooda

Kitten

• 52 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Good morning, is there is a way to go about mounting paper to large panels in sections? Any tips, references or videos would be helpful/great Thank you for your time, Tommy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users