Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

I am just curious.Where do you live and does your coon got outside?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#12 maureen

maureen

Alpha cat

• 312 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • Interests:Nutrition, Writing, Irish culture, iPhoneography

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

I live in the US in the Pacific NW. I never let my girl outside to run free. Our neighbor let her cats outside and had three cats die in the first 8 years we lived here. It is just not safe. The cities have dangers from traffic and rural areas have dangers from wild life. I do take her out on her leash and halter for walks.

Maybe because she was a retired (spayed) breeding queen, I was not required to sign the contract most breeders require. The contract Robin described appears to be a standard contract for kittens most breeders use. If a breeder didn't require a contract with kittens, I wouldn't buy one of their kittens.
  • Robin Ballard likes this

#13 cathy b

cathy b

Premier

• 233 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • Interests:Looking after my 4 cats. Work full time with people with learning disabilities/mental health. Son Jaymmi is now in the British Army, one Scots regiment based in Edinburgh. He is 22yrs old. He recons I replaced him with the cats. My cats are all boys, called Alfie, Boon, Oshie and Jasper.New baby Kofi coming end of Feb 15.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'm lucky in Scotland as the only vicious wild life we have is possibly a fox who do not kill cats. They simply can't catch them and so far there is no record of fox's killing cats. The most vicious animal is our cats as they tend to kill our wild life. LOL xxx
cathy b

#14 Guest_Weasel_*

Guest_Weasel_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

Poor old Sid (aged 2) had a bad experience last spring. We let him out in the garden first thing in the morning, in the half-light, and came back several hours later. He was scrabbling on the patio doors, quite desperate to get indoors to safety.
The guinea pig run had been badly positioned and the three pigs had escaped under the mesh and were loose in the garden.
They had spent the day terrorising the poor cat - chasing him up a tree, guarding his food bowl and generally being menacing.
They were quite easy to catch, they were laughing so hard they couldn't run away!
Sid was so traumatised that it was a week before he'd go outside again on his own, so I'm not worried about foxes, just guinea pigs!

#15 gharrissc

gharrissc

Premier

• 113 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

I am in South Carolina, and neither one of my cats goes outside. When we move, I do want to build an outdoor enclosure for them.

#16 Max_1

Max_1

Grand champion

• Mobile Super Moderator
  • 1,757 posts
  • 152 thanks

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

New York baby! ;) Max can roam out on the balcony, but that's about it. We live in a condo, so no green areas for him to roam to...

#17 Tobilei

Tobilei

Grand champion

• 746 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

I'm in Australia.

I didn't have to sign a contract but it was made abundantly clear to me that Jasper was to be an indoor cat unless on a leash. And so that's what he is. We take him out about once a day (weather permitting) and he gets between 30 minutes and an hour. He's quite happy to be on the lead and comes running when he hears us get it, excited to go out.

Ideally I'd love an outdoor enclosure for him as well but we rent and money for a removable one is a little tight.

Posted Image
  • Trinity and Robin Ballard like this

#18 Robin Ballard

Robin Ballard

Premier

• 155 posts
  • 20 thanks

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

POPULAR

I'm in Australia.

I didn't have to sign a contract but it was made abundantly clear to me that Jasper was to be an indoor cat unless on a leash. And so that's what he is. We take him out about once a day (weather permitting) and he gets between 30 minutes and an hour. He's quite happy to be on the lead and comes running when he hears us get it, excited to go out.

Ideally I'd love an outdoor enclosure for him as well but we rent and money for a removable one is a little tight.

Posted Image

What a beauty Jasper is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cathy b, Jennie Fuller and Robin Ballard like this

#19 Stsmith

Stsmith

Kitten

• 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

No my cats do not go out. Not only would I fear wild animals, and cars, but they can get parasites going outside.
My babies are purely indoor spoiled.
  • Robin Ballard and Cooniesfrevr like this

#20 Brookhaven

Brookhaven

Kitten

• 29 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

I live on Long Island NY (USA). I know my cats (I have 2) would love to go out as they sit by the windows and look in wonder. I am afraid of the wildlife, traffic, roaming dogs, and mean people (Sad to say). I think if I took them out on a lead they may like it so much that they would try to escape to the outside - If people werent careful with the door going out the cats would inadverntantly end up out side.

Given that, they have a lot of space indoors, many toys, a cat tree and a dog to play with....they seem to be pretty happy and I dont think they know what they are missing (looking out the window is one thing, going out is quite another). They are quite spoliled & we wouldnt have it any other way!
  • Robin Ballard and Cooniesfrevr like this

#21 KobiCooney

KobiCooney

Kitten

• 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

We live in Adelaide South Australia and fortunate enough to have a large sized secure back yard, our Kobi gets supervised outside time where he loves to play with us and also investigate nature.  On average his outside time is about 20 minutes during the weekdays, and maybe and hour on weekends.  He honestly wears us out, but we wouldn't have it any other way.  Our only concerns are when the bees and wasps are out attracted to the garden flowers, and also when he get's too inquisitive around the fences which we know he could jump, so we're always watchful and keeping him occupied.  It's great to watch him smelling new smells, hearing and stalking birds, racing across the lawn at full speed. Excellent cardio!

161087085.K0cBANg6.P8050694.jpg

161409332.AOnHnlKS.P9270387.jpg

161663892.YhdrPKUG.PA240228.jpg

161797612.hAPVsoNI.PB010012.jpg

161410146.JwQGIXJQ.P9270410.jpg

161377869.pneAwLC3.P91915102.jpg

#22 krzy4katz

krzy4katz

Premier

• 139 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

We live in upstate NY and our babies do not go outside alone. They are allowed on the deck with us or walk around on leash and harness. Otherwise, when the weather is good, we have a Catio they access threw a window.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Barbi~~Cat mom to DaBB, Rocky, Chewbacca and Prince Harry. RIP Nigel 2012-2015

Zj7pDID.jpgZj7pm5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users