candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks
  • Interests:Maine Coons

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

POPULAR

If I told you that you could save yourself a lot of heartache and many thousands of dollars of expense, but it would cost you extra money now, would you do it? Imagine your beloved MC living to a ripe old age vs dropping dead at a young age in their food bowl.  Imagine not having to spend ten to twenty thousand dollars on medical care for your MC. Considering what we spend on adoption costs, this should not be all that difficult.

Generally, you will spend much more for a MC that can pass muster with the Maine Coon Fancy Pre Adoption Check list. But it is money well spent, Although you will still find breeders out there that charge top dollar for genetic misfits.

Please use the Pre-Adoptuion check list for every adoption. Not only will it save you heartache and expense, it will save the breed. Then all those bad breeders out there will have the incentive to shape up or ship out. Lets put bad breeders where they belong, out of business!

Click this link to access the Pre Adoption Checklist form (click to download form):
Maine Coon Fancy Pre Adoption Health Check List

This is a home page article about Recommended Tests For Breeders (Click Here)

Here it is the pre-adoption check list for those worrying about downloading a file:

MAINE COON PRE-ADOPTION  CHECKLIST

Pre-adoption screening questions:

1.   Does the Maine Coon come with a health and genetic guarantee? Yes ___ No___

2.   Did the Maine Coon’s parents have echocardiography for HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy screening)? Yes___ No___

3.   Did both of the Maine Coon’s parents have the HCM genetic test done? Yes___ No___

4.   For the HCM screening, are the sires (males), tested annually and the queens (females), before every litter?  Or tested on a every other year basis? (1, 3 and 5 years) Yes ___ No ___

5.   Were the parents screened for Polycystic Kidney Disease? (Often done at the same time as the HCM screening, and only needs to be done once.) Yes ___ No ___

6.   Were the parents hips x-rayed and graded for hip dysplasia? Yes___ No ___

7.   Did both parents have the SMA (Spinal muscular atrophy) genetic test done? Yes ___ No ___

8.   Have the knees of the parents been checked and graded by their veterinarian for Patella luxation?  Yes ___ No ___

9.   Do either of the parents, and their previous or present litters have any history of gum, tooth, or mouth issues?  Such has gingivitis, stomatitis, or resorptive gum disease?  Yes ___ No ___

10.Has the Maine Coon been tested for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency viruses? Yes ___ No___

11.Are the breeders adoptions only allowed at or past 12 weeks of age when kittens are fully developed? (Maine Coons are slow developers.)  Yes ___ No ___

12.Will kittens have at least 2 sets of shots prior to adoption?  And come with a certificate of health? Yes ___ No ___

13.Will the Maine Coon be micro chipped? (Some do it while others don't.) Yes___ No___

14.Will you provide proof of all testing performed on the parents? Yes ___ No ___

15.Does the breeder strictly disallow declawing?  (Declawing involves more than just removing the claws, it is amputation to the first knuckle.) Yes ___ No ___

16.Is the mother only allowed to have 1 litter a year at most? Yes ___ No ___

Is my Maine Coon healthy and socialized well?  (Things to look for when meeting your new Maine Coon):

1.   Does the Maine Coon have high energy? Yes ___ No___

2.   Is the Maine Coon’s coat glossy without any patchy fur loss? Yes ___ No ___

3.   Are there any visible signs of fleas? Yes ___ No___

4.   Are the insides of the ears clean? Yes ___ No ___

5.   Are the eyes shiny with no unusual deviations towards or away from the nose?  Yes ___ No ___

6.   Are there any unusual discharges from the eyes or nose?  Yes ___ No ___

7.   Are there any signs of illness such as sneezing or coughing? Yes ___ No ___

8.   Are there any signs of loose bowels on the fur in the anal area? Yes ___ No ___

9.   Is the Maine Coon clean smelling and their breath fresh? Yes ___ No ___

10.Are there any signs of a red or darker pink line along the gum and tooth edges? Yes ___ No ___

11.Does the Maine Coon display any excessive fear around strangers? Yes___ No ___

12.Is the breeder’s home and devoid of any unusual or cat box smells? Yes___ No ___

13.Are there enough toys scratching posts and beds for the cats? Yes ___ No ___

14.Do their kittens have access to the entire house? (It’s okay if they do not have access to the bedrooms but they must be allowed to have access to the ground floor of the house.) Yes ___ No ___

15.Are the parents and kittens a part of the family? (You can only have socialized kittens if the parents are socialized and part of the family also.) Yes ___ No ___

16.Do you have a connection with both the breeder and the Maine Coon you are adopting? (The breeder will be the first person to call if there are problems and you need to feel comfortable with them.) Yes ___ No ___

• Max_1, RascalDog, Robin Ballard and 4 others like this

#2 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

I want to stress that both DNA and echocardiography testing are important to minimize the risk of HCM. It can't be one or the other, it must be both! If the breeder doesn't do both, walk away!
  • amarcord25 likes this

#3 AnitaM

AnitaM

Kitten

• 17 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

Hi Candes, I am a new member and just posted to the "Introductions" page. Thank you for this outstanding forum. The subject of bad breeders is what brought me here, and more specifically bad breeders who use their husband's reputations as respected veterinarians to generate buyer confidence. Without going into the gruesome details: I own two Maine Coons now, formerly three as one recently passed, and I would like to connect with other Maine Coon owners regarding breeders who actively breed cats with HCM and hip dysplasia. All three of my cats had/have HCM and hip dysplasia, and they all came from the same breeder, and all are by the same stud cat. The breeder continues to breed that same stud cat, and even loaned him out to another cattery for the purposes of breeding. I am wondering what can be done to stop breeders from breeding carriers of these diseases, and I am wondering how I can get in touch with the people who own litter mates to my cats. It seems like an overwhelming task, but given the power of the internet and social media, it may just be possible. I would be really interested in hearing from other Maine Coon owners who may have purchased from Ginger and Sammy McFaddin at Br'er Coon Cattery in Madison, Georgia. . .or any other owners who may know something about them. I'd also love to connect with other Maine Coon owners who have had a similar experience. Of special interest would be to connect with anyone who owns a cat sired by Ch. Br'er Coon Tanker Ray, and are out of Ch. Br'er Coon Charlotte Russe and Ch. Coonpaws Bumblebee of Br'er Coon. The goal here is to stop this breeder from breeding a sire who is a known carrier, and to let litter mates know that there is a problem they need to watch for.
  • candes and kloeb like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
TattdNurse , candes

#4 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

Hi Candes, I am a new member and just posted to the "Introductions" page. Thank you for this outstanding forum. The subject of bad breeders is what brought me here, and more specifically bad breeders who use their husband's reputations as respected veterinarians to generate buyer confidence. Without going into the gruesome details: I own two Maine Coons now, formerly three as one recently passed, and I would like to connect with other Maine Coon owners regarding breeders who actively breed cats with HCM and hip dysplasia. All three of my cats had/have HCM and hip dysplasia, and they all came from the same breeder, and all are by the same stud cat. The breeder continues to breed that same stud cat, and even loaned him out to another cattery for the purposes of breeding. I am wondering what can be done to stop breeders from breeding carriers of these diseases, and I am wondering how I can get in touch with the people who own litter mates to my cats. It seems like an overwhelming task, but given the power of the internet and social media, it may just be possible. I would be really interested in hearing from other Maine Coon owners who may have purchased from Ginger and Sammy McFaddin at Br'er Coon Cattery in Madison, Georgia. . .or any other owners who may know something about them. I'd also love to connect with other Maine Coon owners who have had a similar experience. Of special interest would be to connect with anyone who owns a cat sired by Ch. Br'er Coon Tanker Ray, and are out of Ch. Br'er Coon Charlotte Russe and Ch. Coonpaws Bumblebee of Br'er Coon. The goal here is to stop this breeder from breeding a sire who is a known carrier, and to let litter mates know that there is a problem they need to watch for.

Hi Anita! Am a bit behind with the site since I had to get my gardens in. Will be catching up later tonight! Welcome!

PS. Posting a review on this site makes a huge difference, Other affected folks often will come out of the woodwork. All I ask is that you have some form of vet proof available if I ask for it in case the breeder comes along. As long as what you say is 100% truth, they don't have a leg to stand on. So don't be intimidated by them.

We rank very high on search engines and in some cases even surpass the cattery when you type their name in google.
  • Tobilei and AnitaM like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
AnitaM

#5 AnitaM

AnitaM

Kitten

• 17 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

Hi Candes, yes absolutely I have veterinary proof, and I have even gone so far as to email all of that veterinary proof to the breeder, Br'er Coon Maine Coon Cats. They have acknowledged receipt and advised by email that they are very sorry indeed, and I have saved a digital file of that email as well. BUT, that does not stop them from continuing to breed the same sire, Ch. Br'er Coon Tanker Ray, and loaning him out to other catteries for breeding, like Icoons Maine Coons. They have used females by the same sire for breeding themselves, and have sold many for breeding purposes to other catteries. They seem intent on breeding as many cats as needed to support themselves, and in that process they are just perpetuating the bad gene. I have asked them to please get in touch with the owners of the litter mates of my cats, but of course, they did not. They have left me little choice in the matter, but I do feel that I must do the right thing for the breed. Thanks for being here and caring so much about the improvement of the breed, you are awesome!

#6 Realm

Realm

Kitten

• 51 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:22 PM

What does HCM tests look like? I read on congocoon said there catteries out there that say there cats been tested but not...

#7 MillennialsMaines

MillennialsMaines

Kitten

• Breeder
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

Almost the exact same thing happened to us! We were very careful to ask all the right questions, and she lied right to our faces, all the while her husband (Veterinarian) sitting in the room said nothing. Turns out our kitten has some rare parasite that was brought to America from Germany on one of her Maine coons and her most of her cattery had it. We were so upset as we had fallen in love with that kitten. In the end the kitten was returned to the breeder and we assume put down. We were so traumatized that we didn't have another Maine coon for 3 years :(
  • AnitaM likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
AnitaM

#8 AnitaM

AnitaM

Kitten

• 17 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Almost the exact same thing happened to us! We were very careful to ask all the right questions, and she lied right to our faces, all the while her husband (Veterinarian) sitting in the room said nothing. Turns out our kitten has some rare parasite that was brought to America from Germany on one of her Maine coons and her most of her cattery had it. We were so upset as we had fallen in love with that kitten. In the end the kitten was returned to the breeder and we assume put down. We were so traumatized that we didn't have another Maine coon for 3 years :(

So sorry to hear about this, Millenials Maines. I am sorry that you heart was broken by this dishonest breeder, and hope that you found another cat to love. It is shocking that dishonesty is so rampant in this business. :-(
  • AnitaM likes this

#9 MillennialsMaines

MillennialsMaines

Kitten

• Breeder
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

So sorry to hear that your experience with Ginger McFaddin and her husband Sammy McFaddin DVM at Br'er Coon was the same as mine, Millenials Maines. May three cats also had the same virus, as did every cat and kitten in the Br'er Coon Cattery. I am sorry that you heart was broken, and hope that you found another cat to love. I seriously doubt that they euthanized the kitten you returned. They just resell them if the kitten recovers from the virus, which many do. It is clear that the McFaddins are in it just for the money, and they are just as dishonest as I feared they were.

Our experince happened with a diffrenent breeder. So sad to hear there is more then one monster in the business. :(
  • candes and AnitaM like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
AnitaM

#10 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,083 posts
  • 228 thanks

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

Bump!   :bump:   Because I can't stress this enough!  

#11 Paintrmann

Paintrmann

Premier

• 216 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

[quote name="MillennialsMaines" post="758385" timestamp="1441418749"]Our experince happened with a diffrenent breeder. So sad to hear there is more then one monster in the business. :([/quote
Anyone here ever had issues with Dreamcoon in Henrico Va?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users