#1 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,096 posts
  • 228 thanks
  • Interests:Maine Coons

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

Hi everyone, today I need something from you for a change. Have any of you ever read the home page? I am adding reviews to the home page but I am not certain what to do with the reference articles. Would you prefer that I leave the most important ones pinned at the top? If you notice, in our navigator bar I now have a listing called articles, this will show the review ones and the reference ones seperated out. If I unpin those articles on the home page, they will get buried.

Plus, how many articles should I list on the home page? There is pagination so that you can view page 2,3 Etc.

#2 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Alpha cat

• 261 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

I like the idea of pinning reference articles.  There is so much I learned from this forum and I am sure other new parents of Maine Coons come here looking for the same information. Maybe pin something with a general idea of what to expect, what good items to buy, etc.  Just my opinion.  Keep up the great work.  Love this forum.

• candes likes this

Posted Image

#3 TychoPete

TychoPete

Premier

• 227 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Interests:Cats, lost cats, Maine Coons, reading.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hmmm…not sure. Long answer…ugh.

Reviews have always existed in Forums so am waffling as to why they (or at least selected ones) may need to go on the home page at all. As a frequent visitor I always start from the Forums page (and NOT the home page) anyway – even though I have to scroll (something research suggests few like to do) down to see “Maine Coon Cat Topics” and “Latest Posts” – both of which are now the most important elements of the site at least to me. Although it is nice to know that the “Gallery” and the “Home Page” reference articles are there when you need them.

I tend to think of the “Home page” as an introductory starting point for newbies just discovering the site – although this same thing might also be said of the top of the “Forums” page. I suppose if it is decided that reviews do need to go on the “Home Page” I would definitely NOT want to lose the reference articles so pinning some of those to the top is a good idea. You could also get more on this page, in an effort to catch someone’s eye with content if the review list did not include 5 lines of text – just a list without a lot of dead space would allow many more topics to be included on one page – as it is, one can only get at most 4 to 6 topics on a page. Browsing behavior suggests that people tend not to scroll much past the 2nd or 3rd page.

A more robust internal search engine would probably help as well.

Sorry, you asked. -TychoPete

• candes likes this

#4 candes

candes

Administrator

• Mobile Admin
  • 9,096 posts
  • 228 thanks
  • Interests:Maine Coons

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

Your advice is much appreciated.  Just now, I pinned the reference articles.  This leaves space for 4 recent reviews or contests on the home page.

Earlier I got rid of the photo/article slider it was huge and slowed load time,  I also got rid of the stuff on teh right like recent topics, videos etc.  All this allows me to load more articles on the home page also.

Tychopete, you got me to thinking,,,,  I checked this and it was turned off.  So I turned it on.

Allow Searching YesNo
Enabling this option will allow users to search this database in the global site search
  • Tobilei and TychoPete like this

#5 Tobilei

Tobilei

Grand champion

• 746 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

I have to confess, I never read the home page (of anywhere!). I have a tendency to either google stuff, or get onto a forum and search for it on the forum. Pinning things is a great idea :)

• candes likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
candes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users