• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spenserp

spenserp

Kitten

• 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

I was hoping some of you will be able to help me out on the question, when is the best time to neuter a Maine coon. I am getting conflicting reports between my vet and the breeder. In the breeder contract it is written not to neuter until 6 months. But after getting some feedback from the breeder recently she would like me to if possible hold off until 8-9 months. The vet on the other hand said it would be fine at 6.. am I missing something here? I do keep the breeder updated on his progress , would it be possible the breeder is hoping I wait long enough and possibly send me an option to stud him out instead... just a thought.. just not sure why such a long wait to 9 months when in the breeder contract it states 6. Any feedback would be helpful.

#2 tigerwood1969

tigerwood1969

Kitten

• 12 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

We have a 6 month old Maine coon. When we got him from breeder they provide a book "everything about a Maine coons" it clearly says to neuter when a kitten is at list 7 month old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Paintrmann

Paintrmann

Premier

• 216 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

I was hoping some of you will be able to help me out on the question, when is the best time to neuter a Maine coon. I am getting conflicting reports between my vet and the breeder. In the breeder contract it is written not to neuter until 6 months. But after getting some feedback from the breeder recently she would like me to if possible hold off until 8-9 months. The vet on the other hand said it would be fine at 6.. am I missing something here? I do keep the breeder updated on his progress , would it be possible the breeder is hoping I wait long enough and possibly send me an option to stud him out instead... just a thought.. just not sure why such a long wait to 9 months when in the breeder contract it states 6. Any feedback would be helpful.

if

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 Paintrmann

Paintrmann

Premier

• 216 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

If the contract says 6 months then go with that. If you wait until 9 months he will probably start spraying around your home and you do not want that. Also you will be in violation of your contract regardless of what the breeder may be saying on the phone. I had both of my girls spayed at 6 mo, and know of some breeders that deliver the male kittens already fixed at 3 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 Cooniesfrevr

Cooniesfrevr

Premier

• 132 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

MCs are slow to develop, so most vets recommend spaying/neutering between 7 to 9 mos. I wouldn't wait until 9 mos. All of my MCs were fixed between 7 & 8 mos. & I haven't had any spraying problems...

Your contract says not to spay or neuter before 6 mos. & that is correct, and 7 to 8 mos. is most common...You can take a look at my MCs if you are concerned & you will see what they look like at different ages before & after neutering...

#6 spenserp

spenserp

Kitten

• 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thank you for all of your input. This helps a lot.

#7 tigerwood1969

tigerwood1969

Kitten

• 12 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

I've got a Maine coon from the breeder along with a booklet about how to take care of the cat and all other info in it! It is clearly says not to neutering until at list 7 month old. So we did the surgery at 7.5 mo and everything went just fine! I do recommend to ask the vet to use a laser for this procedure!

#8 Duchessdad

Duchessdad

Kitten

• 45 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

I've got a Maine coon from the breeder along with a booklet about how to take care of the cat and all other info in it! It is clearly says not to neutering until at list 7 month old. So we did the surgery at 7.5 mo and everything went just fine! I do recommend to ask the vet to use a laser for this procedure!

My breeder neuters and micro chips just before sending out at 12 weeks. I have male and female same litter for 10 days. They have never had a problem and produce huge healthy cats. Already have visited my feline vet and she saw nothing wrong with neutering at that age.

#9 italeki

italeki

Kitten

• 31 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:48 PM

It's a controversy for some in neutering/spaying their pets. Some say when you neuter an male MC, it stunts its growth and developing features, and causes it to gain weight. Any truth to this? If a person does not neuter their male MC, does it guarantee it will spray awful urine? 

#10 Cooniesfrevr

Cooniesfrevr

Premier

• 132 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

My vets and the MC breeders that I know all have stated that since the MC is slow to mature early neutering/spaying may have long time effects that can't be seen until they reach maturity...Therefore, many of the breeders that say it is for health reasons are not being totally honest...A lot of breeders do it early to preserve their lines and don't trust that the buyer is going to fulfill their contracts and they are also afraid of backyard breeders!!

Now if you don't neuter or spay your cat at all, then you are putting your cat at risk for health issues, bad behavior and spraying!! Trust me you don't want to deal with a cat that sprays because it is not pleasant!! MCs should be neutered or spayed between 7 to 9 mos...And I've been following this rule for more than 30 years and have not had any issues...

#11 Dfarquhar

Dfarquhar

Kitten

• 13 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

My female Maine coon was spayed at 4-5 months according to the contract. She, at a year, has developed slipped capital femoral physics, in which the ball structure at the hip slips and does not develop properly, possibly due to genetic and hormonal factors. She has to have surgery. I did some research on this topic and one study of about twenty five male cats who had this condition stated they had been neutered early. I don't know if this applies to females, but you might want to research this more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users