• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SaccaraBird

SaccaraBird

Kitten

• 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

Hello! Just introducing myself. My husband and will be adopting our very first Maine Coon in a week and are super excited. I love dogs but he's not a fan so we figured a "dog like" cat was the perfect inbetween! We haven't yet decided on a name for her but we have some choices and will figure it out once we see her personality come thru a bit more.

So I guess a good question is does any one have any advice for a first time Maine Coon parent? I'm pretty keen to train her to go for walks, ride in the car, do tricks (if she cooperates!) and just be a big part of our lives. She's around 4 months old so I would like to start getting her used to things asap.

Thanks for any advice and nice to meet you all!

#2 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 350 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

I'm not sure about advice... ...maybe a few warnings... :)  They are really smart. They are really athletic.They have a sense of humor. Your life will never be the same. ...and they are really smart.

My only advice is to get two. Maine Coons are awesome, better than any other dog or cat breed IMHO.

• Cooniesfrevr likes this

#3 cognitive

cognitive

Grand champion

• 763 posts
  • 50 thanks

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Coons ought to have a warning label on their fur somehow . It's not individual traits as much as it is the combined athletic ability, curiosity, intelligence, and size.

What this means to us as Coon parents is that we have to provide play, a safe and interesting environment, and lots of attention.

Our cat is fascinated with wildlife. So, any apartment his mommy gets for college needs to be popular with wildlife (bird seed helps). When he's home with us he has the cat suite on the ground floor with a window and patio doors outside. And space to run.
  • Cooniesfrevr likes this

#4 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Alpha cat

• 255 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

I wanted a cat, my husband wanted a dog.  We settled on the "cat for dog lovers".  She was already 5 months old when we got her.  All I can say is, you won't be sorry but be prepared!!!  We have always talked to her a lot and she is very obedient with my husband.  Pretty much will do what he tells her.  With me, her tiny bit of cat-like aloofness comes out!  Very spoiled but we wouldn't trade her for the world.

10750084_10153420393604937_8001670365178604789_o.jpg

• cognitive and Ladybellac17 like this

Posted Image

#5 Ladybellac17

Ladybellac17

Kitten

• 35 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

I wanted a cat, my husband wanted a dog. We settled on the "cat for dog lovers". She was already 5 months old when we got her. All I can say is, you won't be sorry but be prepared!!! We have always talked to her a lot and she is very obedient with my husband. Pretty much will do what he tells her. With me, her tiny bit of cat-like aloofness comes out! Very spoiled but we wouldn't trade her for the world.
attachicon.gif 10750084_10153420393604937_8001670365178604789_o.jpg

She is just gorgeous! Im glad she makes you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users