Hair balls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elliemayr

Elliemayr

Kitten

• 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Interests:Besides Maine coons, quilting, sewing, my beautiful grandchildren, Stanley my mini Aussie

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

Reading down through this blog I would like to add my recent experience. This is my 2nd Maine Coon, my first didn't need much grooming at all. Max now just about 2 yrs woke us up coughing up bile then foam x7 a week ago sunday. After a trip to the ER vet, our vet the next day, back to the ER vet an ultrasound revealed a blockage in his colon! Yup you guessed it a HUGE hairball he apparently couldn't cough up. Max had surgery for its removal & is doing well. His staples came out today. So lesson learned, gentle brushing and laxatone every other day ( just a little bit) hopefully will prevent this in the future. They suggested a lion cut but like many of you why would you cut such beautiful fur??? As a final resort maybe but I would try anything before resorting to that. Just be aware they can develop such large hairballs that they may not be able to cough up. Have to keep our " children" safe & happy. P S we are looking into pet insurance after this

#2 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 329 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

Wow, sorry to hear that. Our female MC used to have hairballs often until we changed to a mostly wet food diet and started grooming her almost everyday. The best tools for keeping the loose fur at bay are a greyhound comb and a pin brush.

#3 Elliemayr

Elliemayr

Kitten

• 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Interests:Besides Maine coons, quilting, sewing, my beautiful grandchildren, Stanley my mini Aussie

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:03 AM

Thank you so much for sharing what worked for you. Max is on a wet food diet, Royal Cain, with some dry we leave out.
I did get a grooming tool with both & laxatone every other day I'm sure will help. Sure do love my Max, glad he is doing better, such a trooper.
  • RascalDog likes this

#4 mgosselin8520

mgosselin8520

Kitten

• 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

What shampoo would you recommend for a kitten?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users