Jump to content







Photo
- - - - -

HELP Floating Knee Cap "Luxating Patella"


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spenserp

spenserp

    Kitten

  • Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

Hi everyone.  I am in some desperate need of some advice and help.  I will give you the short story.  Invited friends over for a get together, they brought there dog over and assured us he would be staying in the kennel.  We went out to do some grilling and sure enough the idiots let there dog out and that was just enough time to catch site of out Coony.  I did not see the altercation but my wife said the cat got chased around the room a few times.  The cat did not get bit or scratched at all which is good but this trauma has caused a major issue.  A day later Bowser could not walk on his hind leg.  We rushed him to the emergency vet and they found his knee cap was out of place.  They have put his knee cap back into place and they recommended keeping him confined for atleast 7-10 days so he cant jump and knock it back out of place.  We are keeping him confined for 10 days just to make sure there wont be a reason for this not to heal. So my question is does anyone have any knowledge on this?  The vet mentioned there are 4 levels of patella luxation and they said he is around a 1 to 2.  Its now day number 5 of keeping him from jumping and he is acting like his old self again.  I see just as many reports that you should get it operated than that of ones stating you should not.  Most always recommend surgery if above a level 3 which he is not.  He is a year and a half old and since he is a Main Coon he still has some growing left.  Could it be possible that his body can repair this issue?  I spoke to my normal vet and he didn't sound super concerned and just mentioned if it happens again in 20-40 days to bring him in for an evaluation.  My wife and I are pretty broke up about our big guy being hurt, any advice or words would be appreciated.

 

Attached is a recent picture 

Attached Thumbnails

  • bowser back.jpg



#2 bigmacattack

bigmacattack

    Kitten

  • Member
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

I'm glad he's doing better, but your friends sound like irresponsible jerks. I don't have any experience with this issue, but just wanted to share that I can imagine how scary and frustrating that must have been!



#3 spenserp

spenserp

    Kitten

  • Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

I do have some good news to report. We had scheduled an orthopedic consulation for a couple weeks after the incident "soonest they had available". While waiting for that day to come Bowser has seemed to have made a full recovery, over a week and a half and the knee cap has stayed in place and he is as active as ever. We cancelled the surgery for now and will always keep an eye on it. I guess i am glad the surgeon visit was such a long wait as it seems to have healed naturally, saving our guy an invasive surgery and long recovery.
  • Bluerose16 and bigmacattack like this

#4 bigmacattack

bigmacattack

    Kitten

  • Member
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

That's great news!






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users