5 replies to this topic

#1 SilverHawke

SilverHawke

Kitten

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

Hello!

I adopted my first mane coon at the end of the summer last year. Her name is Gypsy Danger (Gypsy for short) and she's a sweetheart. Right now she's about 8 or 9 months old. I've been having a few issues with her and I need some advice on what to do to solve them or if they are the result of her not being happy, how to fix that. She goes on walks about every other day on a harness, and loves looking up at the trees, watching nature, and exploring. I hoped these walks would help her stretch her legs and expend her energy. I play with her using a pole and string type of toy that she adores. To the point that she learned from the dog to carry it around the house and give it to people when she wants someone to play with her.

The issues I'm encountering are:

She likes to be mischievous at 4am.

I don't really know what to do for this one. Usually we try to let her stay out and during the night but lately she has gotten to where she climbs onto the tables and counters and pushes things off then meows loudly until someone comes down and we have to lock her in her room so we can sleep without the house getting wrecked. If that doesn't work, she will come upstairs or find one of us sleeping and 'punch' under the blankets or chuff in faces until someone wakes up irritated and locks her in her room.

She won't stay off of table tops and counter tops.

We have tried everything under the sun to get her to stay off of the table, desks, and counter tops. But she frequently will get on these surfaces and shove things into the floor, put her face/paws into people's drinks, or push drinks onto the floor. She *knows* she's not supposed to because when we tell her to get down, she will sit down on the surface and stare at us until one of us starts to get up, then she'll jump down and run. The only thing we haven't tried is water bottles, but we have a lot of computer equipment and electronics that could possibly get wet from that.

For some reason she eats so much she throws up.

I've never known a cat to do this and I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. But she will, once in a while, just eat herself so full that she throws up large quantities of food. I feed her Rad Cat with Northwest Natural dry food. So the Rad Cat is given to her twice/three times a day in her room, and the NWN dry food is kept in a bowl upstairs in her cat tree all the time. This isn't so much a common occurence right now, but it was very frequent to the point I took all her food away and strictly gave her a certain amount at a time and she wasn't gaining much weight (as a little kitten).

She is a fantastic cat and I absolutely love her, but if we could solve or have an idea of how to do better with these three issues it would be amazing. I feel like we are doing something wrong if every time she's waking us up doing shenanigans in the house at 4am that we have to lock her in her room away from everyone until we get up. I don't want her to feel abandoned. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

#2 cognitive

cognitive

Grand champion

• 763 posts
  • 50 thanks

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

4 am: takes a while to set the cat on a schedule. If it fails you can restrict the cat at night to one bedroom. We do that otherwise in a huge house we will never find him .

Climbing: a climbing tower helps. But that's who they are.

Throwing up: restrict dry food and track how much he eats.

#3 SilverHawke

SilverHawke

Kitten

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

4 am: takes a while to set the cat on a schedule. If it fails you can restrict the cat at night to one bedroom. We do that otherwise in a huge house we will never find him .

Climbing: a climbing tower helps. But that's who they are.

Throwing up: restrict dry food and track how much he eats.

Yeah she's got a climbing tower and toys hanging off of it and we encourage her to focus her energies there when she seems to be in a mood to get on top of everything. It's been helping a little I think. 

Thank you for the other tips!

#4 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 237 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

Melody absolutely will eat until she throws it all up occasionally.  I have noticed it tends to be more when she is shedding more or cleaning more and believe it is aggravated by how much fur is in her tummy.  When she starts this pattern, it can last a day or two.  I give her Sentry hairball relief fish flavor for cats.  She actually likes the flavor, shocking, and will lick it off my finger.  The throwing up will then stop for weeks at a time.  Have no cure for 4 am.  Melody started out there but over time has managed to be quiet until 5 am.  I then get up, feed her, and go back to bed if possible.  I have heard that bubble wrap on countertops, etc. is an excellent deterrent as it freaks them out when they jump on it.  We have never had issues with this so have not tried it.  We have a bar-height kitchen set with three stools.  One belongs to Melody!  Whenever we are cooking/eating in the kitchen, we pull out her chair and she is perfectly content to sit up there and watch.  Maybe a tall stool near your counters that she could sit on would distract her from other high surfaces.  We actually bring her stool into the dining room when we eat there and she sits above us perfectly content.  I think over time you will find peaceful solutions that will make everyone happy.  But we still have an occasional 4 am POUNCE.  Just life with a coon!

Posted Image

#5 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 331 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

If you are only feeding dry food this is part of the throwing up problem. Dry food is only about 8% moisture and is much more dense than canned food which is about 85% moisture. When your MC scarfs down lots of dry food it's too much for their digestive track. We've had this problem with both of our MC's. We switched to a limited dry serving each day and feed mostly canned food. We haven't had the problem since.

I think most of the behavioral issues with Maine Coons are from boredom. They need to be stimulated both mentally and physically. Our two are 7 and 8 yos and will still misbehave if they don't get enough playtime and interaction with their humans. Having two MC's helps with the boredom part.

#6 cognitive

cognitive

Grand champion

• 763 posts
  • 50 thanks

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

Only way to keep Ollie from practicing for the cat Olympics at 4 am is to sleep with him. He actually demands someone to sleep with him, but will sleep 5 or 6 hours in a stretch. Make sure you have a good sized bed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users