3 replies to this topic

#1 SaccaraBird

SaccaraBird

Kitten

• 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a bind here. My Zelda is a 10 month old MC. I'm not sure how much she weighs as we don't have a scale, but I'd estimate she's at least 14lbs. 

And we are having a big flea problem with her. We noticed a few months ago that she had become rather infested, so went out and bought Advantage flea treatment for cats over 9lbs, as well as a flea comb and flea spray for the house which we used liberally. The Advantage worked only very slightly to the point where there weren't as many live fleas and dirt in the comb (I flea comb her every day) for maybe a couple of weeks, but they always came back. As in it didn't seem to be stopping the breeding cycle of the fleas, only killing the current live ones.

So after spending $100 on that treatment I went to the local vet and got her some Capstar tablets. The vet said these should work well and may even help the Advantage work better but I had already used all of it so just decided to see how the Capstar did on its own. It seemed to work much faster and better than the Advantage to the point where she would have hardly any fleas for a couple weeks, but they always ALWAYS come back in full force after about a fortnight.

After using all the Capstar tablets, I went out in desperation and bought more Capstar and more Advantage (as I've seen Advantage recommended for MC's many places and it has good reviews) and gave her both the tablets and the gel. Still, they don't work for more than a couple weeks. 

I am getting to my wits end here. I can't have my poor girl constantly battling fleas but I also don't want to keep loading her with medication all the time. With pets in the past I've just needed to give them their regular monthly or quarterly treatments depending on medication type and they would be completely fine flea-wise until the next treatment was due, and these were cats and dogs that went outside in the country every day!!

Zelda is an indoor cat (we live on the 12th floor), but occasionally I'll take her out for little outings down to the common area in her harness so she can have some fresh air and get some exercise. So it's not as if she is constantly going outside to contract new fleas. I want to take her out more often but I worry about the flea issue as they seem extremely resilient to treatment. We are in Hawaii currently so I don't know if maybe the fleas here are some sort of super duper resilient breed or something?

My mother in law who has 4 cats (one MC) suggested I bathe her in Dawn dishsoap as that's the thing she says works the best for fleas but I have serious reservations as I can't imagine that being good for a cat's skin? (tho MIL says she's never had a problem with her cats). And even if it would work, Zelda isn't a fan of the bath and I don't want to have to traumatise her like that unnecessarily. 

Please I need help! What flea treatments have worked the best and for the longest for your Maine Coons? Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and for any advice you can give me :) 

28575799_10156218302149732_2727903763149881344_n.jpeg 26805023_10156076905819732_3369182737333103379_n.jpeg

#2 stephyjayne

stephyjayne

Kitten

• 14 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

We had fleas recently. You have to be sure you are treating your whole house, not just your cat. Vaccuum daily, empty your vaccuum after every time. We found a natural spray to spray on bedding and carpet that deters the fleas as well as setting off an insect bomb. Capstar will only kill the adult fleas that are currently around, so you should bathe, flea comb, vaccuum and flea bomb the house, then give a capstar and topical flea treatment. It took us a few weeks to solve the problem and often once the weather cools down it helps as flea sare worse in spring/summer.

#3 bigmacattack

bigmacattack

Kitten

• 15 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

Not on my MC, but a several years ago my two DSH cats got fleas pretty badly (friend's dog visited, had fleas, so my poor indoor babies also got fleas). The over-the-counter flea treatment did next to nothing for them; we only got ahead of it with a topical ointment prescribed by the vet, aggressive flea-combing, and frequent vacuuming (ensuring we emptied to vacuum into a garbage outside of the house each time). Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the ointment! On a MC, I'm not sure if you'll maybe need to consider a lion cut or something while you're trying to get ahead of this? It might make flea combing easier.

#4 trent904tic

trent904tic

Kitten

• 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

Not on my MC, but a several years ago my two DSH cats got fleas pretty badly (friend's dog visited, had fleas, so my poor indoor babies also got fleas). The over-the-counter flea treatment did next to nothing for them; we only got ahead of it with a topical ointment prescribed by the vet, aggressive flea-combing, and frequent vacuuming (ensuring we emptied to vacuum into a garbage outside of the house each time). Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the ointment! On a MC, I'm not sure if you'll maybe need to consider a lion cut or something while you're trying to get ahead of this? It might make flea combing easier.

I have found with my cats, and my maine coon that the correct weight comfortis is the only flea treatment worth it!
Advantage may be okay for preventing, but I feel comfortis is the best, it will start killing fleas in about 30 minutes, my maine well eat it if I squish a couple of soft treats around it, my cheetoh cat had to be force feed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users