Photo
- - - - -

How concerned should a be about these symptoms in my MC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SaccaraBird

SaccaraBird

Kitten

• 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:26 AM

Hi all. 

I've been noticing a couple of things with Zelda, my 11 month old MC. One of the main things is occasionally I will hear her breathing from across the room. Like I'll be sitting on the couch and she is lying a few feet away and I hear this soft wheezing sound. It usually happens when she is very sleepy or asleep so at first I've just assumed maybe it's like a kinda cat snore. She also often has her mouth open, not all the time, but definitely more than other cats I've had in the past ( she is my first MC so I don't know if this is normal for them or not). I don't know if this is because she is very expressive or maybe she can't breathe properly through her nose. I've also just noticed a slight irregular husky sound in her chest when I rested my head on her. 

I haven't taken her to the vet yet as she is otherwise extremely happy and healthy. She eats well, and is very playful, active and responsive. She always looks super relaxed and happy. 

So I'm just wondering, if one of your MC's showed these symptoms would you take them straight to the vet or wait and see if any other symptoms develop? I'm just worrying now about MC's penchant for heart issues even though I know her breeder screens her cats for them...

33612511_10156440802929732_4245492906292412416_n.jpeg

• RootRi likes this

#2 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 241 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:06 AM

POPULAR

Melody breathes loudly when she sleeps, and sometimes when just resting.  She has checkups every year and is just fine.  Vet says she may have seasonal allergies, even though she is in indoor cat.  He has never showed any concerns about her health.  It does actually turn to snoring at times!!   I would just let the vet give an all clear so you can rest easy.

https://www.mainecoo...at1/snoring-r73

• RascalDog, cognitive and SaccaraBird like this

Posted Image

#3 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 332 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Dixie's breathing is very loud when she starts to fall asleep. It doesn't matter what season, so I don't think it's allergies. When she is sleeping she is usually rather quiet but she does snore occasionally, much like Melody's snoring.

• SaccaraBird likes this

#4 cognitive

cognitive

Grand champion

• 763 posts
  • 50 thanks

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Ollie snores quite loudly at times as well. But you can check with the vet too.
  • SaccaraBird likes this

#5 SaccaraBird

SaccaraBird

Kitten

• 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

POPULAR

Thanks everyone! That does reassure me a bit, I tend to be a worry-wort heh. I've just never come across a snore-prone cat! She will be due for a checkup in the next couple of months so I think I will wait till then and mention it to the vet. :) 

And Bluerose that video is so cute! It almost sounds more like kitty sleep-talking than snoring!  :lol 

Thanks again!!

• Bluerose16, RascalDog and cognitive like this

#6 Kels

Kels

Kitten

• 16 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hey there! My MC Winston just turned a year old. I had the exact same concerns as you do about his loud breathing. He snores often and when he's not happy he does a little grunting. I've never experienced this with any of my previous cats so it kind of freaked me out.

We have taken him to the vet about it and she said that he is perfectly healthy and his lungs are clear - it's just how he is :) I hope this makes you feel more at ease, I know how easy it is to get freaked out over symptoms!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180716_180253.jpg

• RascalDog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users