Photo
- - - - -

How do you respond to people judgemental of purebreds?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SaccaraBird

SaccaraBird

Kitten

• 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Hi all, just wondering how people deal with judgemental "animal rights" people. For example, many times now I've had a person say "Oh, she's not a rescue? You bought her?" with this very disapproving look in their tone and face. Like there is something inherently wrong with that. When I told people I would soon be adopting a kitten, I had a person tell me "no, you are not 'adopting'. You are buying." I feel completely comfortable with my choice. I wanted a cat with a particular temperament and didn't want an adult cat, and didn't want to "roll the dice" as it were with a rescue kitten. I've rescued cats in the past (and probably will again in the future!), but my MC is by far the most charismatic, affectionate cat I've ever owned. I have also tried to explain to people that cat breeds are actually very different, not as diverse as dogs perhaps, but still different. I wanted a cat with a particular temperament and background, so I went with an MC. I would never own a Siamese for example because I do not like their temperaments. And rescue moggies are often unpredictable as to how they will turn out.

I find people are so quick to judge breeders as well. Saying things like "they just do it for profit!" (this only applies to irresponsible backyard breeders) or "breeders should be outlawed until there are no more cats in shelters!"  which I find to be utterly ridiculous, while I understand the sentiment behind the statement. Responsible breeders are there to ensure sound breed, health and temperament standards. And that if you outlawed legit breeders, you would instantly have a bunch of unscrupulous backyard breeders because there would be a sudden uptick in demand for particular breeds. I too get very angry when people just don't bother to desex their cats and end up with tonnes of kittens which increases the feral cat population, but I honestly don't see adopting a purebred from a breeder adds to that at all.

Sorry, this is more of a vent, but it riles me up so much when people look down on me and others for "purchasing" rather than "adopting". Tbh it seems as ridiculous as judging a person for having a biological child rather than adopting someone else's child....

Anyway, what are y'all's thoughts? Do you just ignore it when people try to judge your MC? Or do you try to explain your choice?

• RascalDog likes this

#2 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 241 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:44 AM

We provide a loving home for an amazing creature.  Why explain?

• RascalDog likes this

Posted Image

#3 MaineCoonFan

MaineCoonFan

Kitten

• 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Interests:Basically cats. Maine Coons mostly. I have three of them. All three have pedigrees and are registered in Felis Danica

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:22 AM

I tell them that YES, getting a Cat from A shelter dies resque that Cat. However, they also help keep those bad wheels rolling. For as long ad people buy cats from shelters and backyard breeders - that is how long These dumb breeders Can breed cats and dont pay out to have cats neutered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 bigmacattack

bigmacattack

Kitten

• 15 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

I'm very pro-rescue, and in fact my Big Mac is the first non-rescue cat I've ever had.

But I wanted a Maine Coon. I loved the personality and the appearance and I wanted to ensure my cat had a good start. By using a reputable breeder, I knew he had less risk of dangerous genetic conditions. He was handled and reared appropriately, and was not separated from his mother until he was an appropriate age. Also, responsible breeders are helping to preserve and maintain the various cat breeds, including MCs, bengals, folds, siamese, etc. While yes, there is a cat crisis for Domestic Short Hairs, losing other breeds of cats to poor breeding practices isn't the answer - supporting responsible breeders help maintain breeds. This is actually a problem for some dog breeds as well, for instance the Otterhound is now considered a vulnerable breed and we might actually lose them (I think there's less than a thousand left?).

Ultimately, I just accept that some people are going to dislike my decision to adopt from a breeder instead of a shelter. I know I'm giving him a happy and safe home, and to me that matters most..

• RascalDog likes this

#5 BBQMonster

BBQMonster

Kitten

• 53 posts
  • 20 thanks

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

I just tell them that I make a sizable donation to the local animal shelter every year. I usually follow up by saying something like  "They are very happy to get my check and they don't care where I get my cats from, so why should you."  It's blunt, but it shuts them up.

• RascalDog and bigmacattack like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users