• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jenniferann099

jenniferann099

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a first time cat owner, so I would really appreciate any advice you could give me.

I'm seriously considering adopting a 9 month old Maine Coon girl into my home. I already have my Milo, a 3 year old Maine Coon which I have had for almost 2 years now. My question is, would he be happier with a friend Maine Coon? I work for my father's construction company and often work home on my computer in the mornings and run errands and meet customers in the afternoon. This means I have a lot of time to spend with Milo. I play with him every morning, and we hang out together while I work. However, in the past 6 months or so, he seems like he wants to play, but is not satisfied with any toys and ends up being cranky and swatting me and biting my feet while I try to work. He does this at night as well. He also wakes me at 5 am for companionship. When I am not home, my husband says he often cries and moans before finally settling down. These factors make me think he might really benefit from having a feline companion. Especially for play. 

Milo is my first cat and I love him so much. I want what is best for him. My vet says he is one of the more demanding cats she has seen -  I wouldn't know cause I grew up with dogs. I devote a lot of time to him because I don't have any kids, so he is not lonely for me (except when I leave the house.) People who have met Milo and are experienced with cats say he is one of the most social cats they have met. He gets along fine with my family's dogs that he has encountered and doesn't care much about them, but I am not sure how he would react to a cat. 

What do you all think about this? 

Attached are pictures of Milo. One is of him sitting on my computer, blocking me from working and being sassy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.12.30 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.13.08 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.13.28 PM.png

• Bluerose16 and RascalDog like this

#2 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 242 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:19 AM

You have described my Melody to a Tee.  She will sit in the bedroom window when we are out.  She knows our car when we pull up and then runs to the door and waits for us. She acts like she wants play time but then will not really engage with any of her uncountable toys if I present them. She has to be in whatever room we are in.  I have considered a companion.  I think she is lonely when alone.  We take her in our camper with us so, logistically, it would be difficult to travel with two.  She is older now also and I don't know how she would adjust.  There is information available on how to make a smooth transition adding another cat to your home.  If you have no obstacles to another one (husband objecting, etc), my own opinion is to do it.  I wish I had gotten two from the start but think now that I will not attempt it. Milo is stunning.

• RascalDog and jenniferann099 like this

Posted Image

#3 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 335 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

We had a similar situation with our first Maine Coon Dixie. We were both at work during the day, so we decided the get a second Maine Coon. It was the best decision we could have made. Although, at first it was hate at first sight but that only lasted overnight. The next morning our 16 pound 10 month old Dixie did everything she could to make friends with 2 pound 9 week old Wile E. They have been together now for almost 8 years and still play chase, their favorite game, almost every day.

Milo is quite handsome. BTW, your description of Milo is pretty typical Maine Coon. So with a second, you will probably be getting another Maine Coon with similar behavior.

• jenniferann099 likes this

#4 jenniferann099

jenniferann099

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm a bit anxious about this and I appreciate the advice! If I was guaranteed the two of them would love each other I would do it in a heartbeat without any misgivings. I think I'm just worried cause I want what's best for my boy and I dont want him to be unhappy.

RascalDog, were you able to let your new cat and first cat mingle without separating them very quickly?

It is good to know that Milo's behavior is typical! He is funny cause I know he wants to play, but he I guess he has already "killed" all his toys and doesnt feel the need to hunt them, though I do rotate them.

#5 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 335 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

We introduced them right away. At first we thought we had made a mistake because there was nothing but hissing. So we kept them separated the first night. The next day Dixie was on her best behavior. She basically adopted Wile E as her own.

There is no guarantee that another Maine Coon would get along with Milo but I would be surprised if they didn't. Maine Coons need physical and mental stimulation. Our two get a lot of both from each other. Sometimes they pretend to be mortal enemies but they really are best friends.

P1000831.JPG

• SerialCoonCatOwner likes this

#6 SerialCoonCatOwner

SerialCoonCatOwner

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:43 PM

My boy, Buddy, was an only cat when I first got him. He was an adult cat who came from a 3 cat household. Lucky for me, the owner was moving to a place that would only allow 2 pets. He was already in his teens by then.

About a year later a girl who worked for me brought in a little female kitten which had be put in a box and dropped at the curb in a housing complex. The poor thing was thin and extremely skittish. I didn't want another cat, but I had to take her in.

At first, I tried to keep them separated, which prooved to be impractical. She was hiding most of the time, so I made food and drink available and let her be. When she eventually started coming out, there were a few hisses at first but Buddy mostly took the whole thing in stride.

It did take a while for the jealousy and teritorialism to go away completely, but the two of them learned to coexist. It has been a good 5 years since then and they still have their little skirmishes. A few minutes later, he is licking her face and the two of them cuddle up for hours on end afterwards. Get the cat. It'll work out with time.

#7 misspoppy

misspoppy

Premier

• 113 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

I agree with the posts above. My girl MC, Moira was alone for 3 months after her brother passed away. I often asked my friend to pop into my flat to feed her if I was held up at work and was told she didn't care about the food but wanted companion. We got Wilson for her and although the first day she gave him evil eyes (we have photos to prove it) they quickly become friends.

In fact, Wilson spent a few days in hospital and it was visible that Moira missed him. When he finally came home they were both so happy they were sleeping cuddling for a few days :)

Get Milo a friend you won't regret it. It's also entertaining watching them play together. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new cat, adding a cat, lonely cat, demanding cat, second cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users