Photo
- - - - -

Vet says cough is an unproductive hairball, but...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kels

Kels

Kitten

• 16 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some opinions on something that Winston is dealing with at the moment.

Last year, around this time, we noticed that Winston would cough once or twice a week. It scared me so much being a new cat parent and I took him to the vet - they listened to his heart and lungs and said he was perfectly fine and just to monitor it. As the weeks went by it went away and we didn't hear him have a coughing fit again up until last month. I marked on the calender every time it happened and it seems to be the same consistency; 1-2 times a week.

He never coughs anything up and the fits last about 10 seconds. I just took him back to the vet and showed him this video. He said it looks definitely like Winston is trying to cough up a hairball but is unsuccessful. He said it is happening around the time that he would be shedding his summer coat for his winter coat, which makes sense to me. He listened to his lungs again and heart and said they were clear and he's perfectly healthy.

However.... I've seen videos online of cats with a similar cough who have asthma. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 329 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

It does look/sound like an attempt to cough up a hairball. It's hard to watch them have a coughing fit though.

Wile E sometimes coughs like this without coughing up a hairball. In fact, it's rare that he actually coughs up anything. Our female Dixie occasionally does cough up a hairball but it's rare since we changed their diet to mostly wet food. Changing their diet also reduced the oiliness of Wile E's coat.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Kels

#3 Kels

Kels

Kitten

• 16 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

It does look/sound like an attempt to cough up a hairball. It's hard to watch them have a coughing fit though.

Wile E sometimes coughs like this without coughing up a hairball. In fact, it's rare that he actually coughs up anything. Our female Dixie occasionally does cough up a hairball but it's rare since we changed their diet to mostly wet food. Changing their diet also reduced the oiliness of Wile E's coat.

It's nice to know Winston isn't the only kitty that does it. It is really hard to watch them, isn't it?! I feel so helpless.

Winston's diet consists of 90% wet food, we leave a little bowl of dry that he nibbles on throughout the day. Maybe we will change to 100% wet... Thanks for the reply <3

#4 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 329 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

Our Vet told us we shouldn't go completely wet food because the dry food helps keep their teeth clean. So we just limit the amount of dry that we feed them.

#5 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 234 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:40 AM

Melody does the same thing and almost never coughs up a hairball.  I absolutely hate it and hers can last pretty long.  She also gets mostly wet food but has dry food available to nibble on at will.  Even when she eats too fast and does throw up there is almost never hair in it.  It manages to work its way out the other end!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users