Photo
- - - - -

Two new MC's, different each eats differently?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lcvette

lcvette

Kitten

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

My wife and I are on week 4 of having a pair of 2 year old male and female Maine Coons. He is a big boy at 21lbs and about 29" long head to butt, he is very stocky bit not fat at all. She is more petite at 15lbs and about 25" head to butt.

He seems to only eat wet food, and seems to drink very little if any water that we have witnessed. He currently is eating two 5.5oz cans a day off friskies seafood flavor pate as that is what the previous owner fed him and we continued with it while they settled in. a can in the morning and a can at night.

She eats a half can of wet and has dry for the rest morning and night. We are free feeding her dry but she regulates her Intake very well only eating during wetfood feedings and only in small portions. The dry food is Nutro. She would not touch Blue Buffalo AT ALL. We tried mixing small amounts into her Nutro and she then snubbed even the Nutro.

Neither will touch any flavor other than fish, be it salmon, tuna, whitefish, cod, etc.. they won't go near chicken, turkey or beef flavored foods.

My first and biggest concern is for my male, since he is not drinking water or much of it. He acts healthy and fine and playful and visits the litter box regularly as his sister so I'm not sure if maybe his wetfood diet is providing his water source and he's sneaking water while we are sleeping or what, is this a more common occurrence than I am thinking? Or do I have concerns?

Second concern is putting them on a healthy food source they will actually eat.
If possible that doesn't put us in the poor house the way these two go through cans..lol

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Chris

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#2 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 246 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:04 AM

Melody will also only eat fish, tuna to be exact.  No chicken, beef, etc.  We tried real tuna and she won't even eat that.  Just Rachel Ray tuna, 3 portions a day and dry whenever she wants.  She has a water fountain but prefers the sink.  We bought a motion sensor faucet at Home Depot for under $40.00 and she activates it with her paw.  She does seem to drink quite a bit that way.  I started out with Blue Buffalo but at some point she decided she did not like it.  Wish she liked something healthy but I just have to give her what she will actually eat.  I trust my vet when she says Melody is perfectly healthy.  She is 71/2 years old, weights 18 pounds and is 31" from tip of tail to nose.  Sounds like you guy and gal are fine.

Posted Image

#3 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 341 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:55 AM

Wow, Bluerose, I'm impressed... a motion sensor faucet. I never thought of that.

As for finding a better wet food, we went through just about every brand and flavor available. We finally found three flavors of "Wild Calling" both would eat. They are all pate and they do have a fish flavor. Our male is very picky but he likes the turkey, duck and chicken flavors.

#4 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 246 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

https://www.homedepo...ucet} oos:{0:1}

Weird link, hope it works.

• RascalDog likes this

Posted Image

#5 lcvette

lcvette

Kitten

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:51 PM

Melody will also only eat fish, tuna to be exact. No chicken, beef, etc. We tried real tuna and she won't even eat that. Just Rachel Ray tuna, 3 portions a day and dry whenever she wants. She has a water fountain but prefers the sink. We bought a motion sensor faucet at Home Depot for under $40.00 and she activates it with her paw. She does seem to drink quite a bit that way. I started out with Blue Buffalo but at some point she decided she did not like it. Wish she liked something healthy but I just have to give her what she will actually eat. I trust my vet when she says Melody is perfectly healthy. She is 71/2 years old, weights 18 pounds and is 31" from tip of tail to nose. Sounds like you guy and gal are fine.

Well, we tried chunky beef today without any other blended flavors and both went crazy for it. Tried beef and liver tonight and snubbed..lol. I suppose we are just going to start a log with what they like in the Friskies and then find similar flavors/textures in a health food and see if we can sneak it in and if they'll accept it.. I'm taking down notes on all your great suggestions!

Haven't had the faucet ordeal yet, but they have no problems with cabinet doors, pocket doors, and ball latch doors, they can open them all!! Lol. We've reverted to have duty rubber bands on cabinets to keep them out from getting in.. had one get in a cabinet stacked with pots and pans.. Not a very organized cabinet and it had a second level shelf.. This was at 4am.. if you can imagine the scare of all those pots and pans crashing down at 4am onto hardwood floors.. scared them which just made more fall as they scattered.. The wife and I thought we were in a tornado... When were woken..lol

They are so full of personality and energy... And seem to think they are vampire kitties and do much of their mischief playing in the middle of the night. Lots of learning left with these little cuties!

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

#6 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 246 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:07 AM

We put child-proof latches on the lower cabinets in the kitchen.  Got tired of hearing them open and slam repeatedlly!!! :hysterical:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users