5 replies to this topic

#1 misspoppy

misspoppy

Premier

• 113 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

I'm hoping I get some advice here about my MC girl who is 2 months shy of being 4 years old. 

Last year I noticed that her hair has been thinning at the base of her tail. At her last visit to the vet approx 3 months ago the vet told us it is probably allergy to something and let's start eliminating the cause. First he said we should eliminate pollen as we were coming into winter (we are based in UK) if it gets worse we know it's not that. Almost 3 months have gone and I noticed this week that her fur has become very thin on her sides also. I have tried to take pictures of it but it's only really visible when she stands and when she sees the camera she wouldn't stay still.

A few additional notes:

• no change in appetite or in her nature. She still seems happy and comes for cuddles. 
  • grooms a lot. Always has. Much more than her MC step brother
  • She has a few scabs from scratching which she also does a lot. 
  • She got flees when she got in contact with a dog at 5 months old . Since than she gets regular flee treatment. The flees seem to have gone. 
  • used to be on Advocate monthly. 3 months ago changed to another product that the vet administers every 3 months. (I need to get the name of it. I changed to this as I didn't want to torture her monthly with Advocate. She knew when it was due and hid from me a day or two before due date - I know she is very smart  ;) )
  • fussy eater - used to eat Royal Canine only as wet and dry food; the past year she would only touch Purina One for wet and royal canine as dry. Recently I started buying RC Vet Care Nutrition - skin & coat and she seems to like it so I buy more to see if that helps her a bit. 

Has anyone's MC had the same or similar problem? Any suggestion what it might be? 

Thank you

Misspoppy

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-2592.jpg
  • IMG-2597.jpg
  • IMG-2599.jpg
  • Mo.jpg

#2 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 332 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

She's really pretty. Hope you figure this out soon. Sorry I don't have any experience with this but it would appear to be over grooming.

Is it necessary that she have flea treatments? Does she have an ongoing issue with fleas?

Does she get/eat more dry food than wet food? Too much dry food can cause chronic dehydration. When we changed our cats diet to more wet food, our female stopped having hair balls. Thinking this is related to over grooming.

• misspoppy likes this

#3 SerialCoonCatOwner

SerialCoonCatOwner

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

When my Buddy was adopted, he had a similar problem that turned out to be from food allergies. My vet suggested that I try a grain-free, high-protein diet. This made a huge difference. He also is allergic to some ingredient used by Purina in both their wet and dry foods. Perhaps something used in processing or a supplement that is in their grain-free foods too.

I switched to Crave dry food and 9-lives wet food. Both are reasonably priced foods that he doesn't get sick from and likes to eat.

My vet says that Maine Coons can be allergic to wheat, corn, and soy. Mine also gets seasonal allergic reaction from the same things that give us humans hay fever.816591677f665307d4ffc69960b545d7.jpg
  • RascalDog and misspoppy like this

#4 misspoppy

misspoppy

Premier

• 113 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Thank you RascalDog and SerialCoonCatOwner for your replies I'm really grateful. I will aim to reduce her purina one intake and I started today but she is already turning her nose up to the RC Vet care food even though she has had it before. My other MC is more easy going and eats anything that is put in his bowls. 

Regarding flea treatment I'm not sure if it's necessary. The reason I have them have it is because they have had flees in the past and I would not want them to return. I always thought the moment you stop treatment those little vampires would return with vengeance. 

#5 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 332 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

Our male MC is a picky eater. We switched food for him by mixing the old food with the new. It was a long tedious process but it worked for us. Like your male MC our female will eat almost anything.

As for the fleas, they shouldn't come back unless they are exposed to them again. They are a pain to get rid of though.

• misspoppy likes this

#6 SerialCoonCatOwner

SerialCoonCatOwner

Kitten

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

Regarding the fleas, my experience has been that flea eggs get into everything. Even hardwood floors.

They can only be controlled by diligently vacuuming every day. Floors, baseboards, furniture and any bedding in the home. You will want to do this for at least 6 months.

Treat the cats for fleas until you are certain no fleas or eggs are left in the home or on the cats. It's only if the cats are outdoor cats that it makes sense to use flea treatments year round.

I had a severe infestation after a friends pet brought them in. It took over a year to get rid of them. We still vacuum every day but I don't use a flea treatment anymore. Mine are strictly indoor cats and we live on an upper floor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users