• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tazmandad

Tazmandad

Kitten

• 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

I have a 6 year old Maine Coon which is my 2nd. My fist lived 18 yeats and had the personality of a good dog. My current guy is Tazman Bull Elephant a 6 year old male who weighs in at 32lbs. He has the typical Maine coon attributes other than he has over the top anxiety. He is gorgeous and loving but he is afraid of everything. He simply cannot take care of his coat. We try grooming him as mich as possible but he will only tolerate so much...and a mad 32lb Maine Coon is nothing to sneeze at. So here it goes and I know I will get bashed by some. We have had Taz shaved by the vet 3 times now. They do the lion shave and he looks great...but we can also tell he feels great. He prances around like a king and is much more personalble so regardless the purists we will do what is best for him. My problem is that we simply do not want him sedated to the level the Vet requires becaise when stressed he make monsterous noises which seem unworldy and his bite warrants respect. So I want to ask advice. Is there something I can give this big guy to sedate him at home enough where I can do this myself. Has anyone out there dealt with this? I love this guy but he is a balled up mess.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Tazmandad likes this

#2 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 246 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:09 AM

Wow.  I think, since it makes him feel better, shaving him is a great idea. Being unkempt could cause him other problems.  No advice on sedation unfortunately.  Rescue Remedy calms Melody a great bit but she is only 18 pounds.  He would need a bigger dose.

• Tazmandad likes this

Posted Image

#3 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 341 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

I don't like the idea of shaving but sounds like you haven't really had a choice. What is his diet like? What you feed your cat can have a big impact on their coat, especially Maine Coons. They should be getting a mostly wet food diet. Too much dry food causes chronic dehydration due to lack of moisture in dry food. Cats can't/or don't consume enough water to compensate. We changed to a mostly wet food diet and it almost completely eliminated oily fur and matting.

Out male is the same way with grooming. The only way we can groom him is by doing about a minute at a time during the day.

• Tazmandad likes this

#4 bigmacattack

bigmacattack

Kitten

• 15 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear Taz is having such a rough time. I've heard of ativan (lorazepam) being used for cat's with extreme anxiety before, but you would need to consult the vet as to what would be a safe dose and if that's going to to be enough for what you need. I also wonder if once you can get in the routine of shaving at home if it might get easier on him (and you) if you're just maintaining an existing cut rather than buzzing down mats necessarily. 

I had to have Mac shaved once, not a lion cut but his stomach and the inside of his legs. I had to go away for a bit due to a family crisis and he wouldn't let anyone else brush him, so I came home to a very matted baby. It happens. Some cats are better at keeping up their coats than others, and some are better at accepting help than others. If it helps Taz and makes him happy, I'd say do what you need to do.

Good luck and let us know what you go with!

• Tazmandad likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users