• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SaccaraBird

SaccaraBird

Kitten

• 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:42 PM

Hi all! As the title suggests I'm getting a bit worried that my 2.5 year old MC, Zelda, is bored. Some days she makes the most demanding meows like she does when she is lonely. I'll go and get her and bring her to where I am and give her a cuddle but she sometimes ends up running to another room again and meowing - when she does this I know it's not because she's lonely. I'll then try to play with her and she is always excited to get started with play but swiftly gets bored with whatever it is I am playing with her with. Even her most favourite thing ever, the laser pointer, is starting to bore her.

We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment on the 12th floor, so she is an indoor cat. We used to take her outside in the grounds for "walks" but she started getting so infested with fleas that we just had to stop (it took over 6 months of keeping her strictly indoors with strong and expensive treatments to get rid of her fleas - a 19lb cat requires a lot of medication and the fleas where I live are very resistant to meds anyway). So it makes it hard to take her outside. Every time I go out onto the balcony she can't wait to come out with me  - don't worry, she's safe from falling - which makes me feel that she is desperate for stimulation or a change of scenery but since she is strictly indoors and getting bored of her toys I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep your Maine Coon stimulated? Should I start trying to teach her tricks? Are there any toys you might recommend that will be mentally engaging?

I appreciate any and all advice! Thanks. :kitplay

#2 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 246 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:52 AM

Unfortunately, I have no advice just commiseration.  Melody has an extremely short attention span when it comes to toys.  Everything fascinates her for about 5 minutes and then it just goes in the basket.  She also acts like she wants me to play with her but it is extremely hard to engage her and, when I do, it does not last very long.  She has always been an indoor cat but we recently had a screen room added to the house with a cat door insert in the sliding glass door.  She loves going out there and watching the birds. Is there any safe way to hang a feeder on your balcony?  Her habits have mellowed with age so maybe some of Zelda's issues are youth related.  Hope you find a solution.  When Melody is terminally bored or frustrated, she thinks I am prey!!  I get stalked and attacked.  Once she gets one good nip in she seems satisfied!!!!  But we just love her way too much.

Posted Image

#3 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 341 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:18 AM

I think Zelda is calling you to come to her. As for toys, we have a box of toys that are no longer in style. The latest toy "PURRfect Leather Bouncer Wand Cat Toy, Color Varies, 18-in" we got from Chewy, is a big hit with our male but not as much with our female. She likes her lazer toy but he thinks it's boring. The one toy they still both like is a piece of string. Our MC's are 9 and 10. When they were young, we balled up pieces of paper and threw them over their head and they would leap for them. They would play this game until their humans were exhausted. You just have to be creative and try to do something new, even with the same toys. They like interacting with their humans and enjoy being challenged physically and intellectually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users