• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 246 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

At her annual checkup this year, Melody's blood work showed elevated kidney function.  She went in this week to have her teeth cleaned and they were supposed to do a urinalysis.  They started her IV fluids and forgot the urinalysis so they did a different blood test for some other marker and it also showed elevated kidney function.  This is extremely upsetting as she is only 8 years old.  The vet wants me to give her a capsule twice a day.  Can't remember the name and I am picking it up tomorrow.  She explained it as a type of probiotic to improve kidney function. After three months, they will do a urinalysis to see if there is any improvement.  Has anyone had kidney issues with their Maine Coons?  Any information or advice?  We are really torn up over this and wonder if her quality of life is going to change and how much longer we will have her.

Posted Image

#2 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 341 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know the news is heart breaking. We went through this with my Maine Coon mix. Rascal was diagnosed when he was 11yo. We gave him fluids via subcutaneous IV for the next 5 years. His quality of life didn't change much until the last 6 months. He had to take blood pressure medication as we had to increase the IV fluids. If I recall, we started with about once every other week and gradually increased the frequency as required.

#3 Bluerose16

Bluerose16

Premier

• 246 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:16 PM

Rascal Dog, Thanks for the reply.  I don't know what to think at this point.  She is on a probiotic for now.  I tried to order some Hills urinary care food but the vet would not write the prescription.  She feels that she is not that bad yet but she is definitely eating a lot less and has lost 2 pounds in 2 years.  Any attempts on my part to wean in better food are met with total refusal to eat, even if I only mix in a tiny portion.  I think all I can do is wait and see.  Praying we have her for some more years with a good quality of life.

Posted Image

#4 RascalDog

RascalDog

Alpha cat

• 341 posts
  • 51 thanks

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:06 PM

Rascal had loss weight between yearly vet visits. That's what triggered the blood tests that led to the diagnosis. This was in 2003, so treatment may have changed. We didn't change his diet other than giving him more of the human food that he loved. We did everything the vet said to do.

It sounds like you caught it early since she isn't getting fluids yet. All you can do is take care of her the best you can.

• Bluerose16 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users